Class of 1965
Classmate News (7/10/15)
In Memoriam (4/14/15)
MHC15 @ our 50th
Meet the Class of '15
Post-Reunion Postings (8/17/15)
Planning Weekend (9/26/14)
Shadowing a 50th (6/3/14)
Reunion Book (9/22/14)
Greetings from YOUR 50th Reunion Committee meeting on campus in mid-September! We are bubbling with enthusiasm and anticipation for our uncommon celebration together in 2015. This is one you CANNOT miss! COME TO REUNION!
l.to r., Marina Fairbank Muldowney, Sara Prozeller Hartman, Kristen Stueber, Jackie Berkowitz, Caroline Fuller Sloat, Diane Seldon Hill, Dianne Middleton Lee, Mary Graham Davis, Jo Griffith Domingue, Beth Tietze Lowd, Sally Crichton Lewis, Debbie Klein Walker, Barbara Holtz, Martha Dolkart Bernstein, Sally Capps Tubbesing, Cathy Russell Hammond, Janet Falik Aserkoff, Roberta Aber, Cleo Griffith, Diane Howland McIntyre, Susie Beers Betzer, Nancy Loving Tubesing, Bonnie Penney Ulrich, Mary Howe Grant, Nancy Boggie Kuehler, Bev Braman Harrison, Karen Kelly Becker, Judy Smith Partlow, Laura Nixdorf Bernstein, Betsy Fish Guardenier
Who are these uncommon women in such haute couture green garb? These classmates comprise the Green Machine working hard to make your fiftieth reunion celebration in May 2015 a premiere event for all members of the Class of 1965! They traveled from 14 states to campus in September to make plans for May 14-17, 2015.
They bonded instantly as we always do. Reunion Committee chairs reported on their progress and ideas. They brainstormed, met their new contact at the Alumnae Association, Janet Glick, checked out event venues, met with members of the class of 2015 who think our class is 'cool' (because we are!) and got very little sleep. The weather was glorious and we tried to make time for walks around Upper Lake.
Only YOU can decide to come to Reunion, but we can guarantee that it will be worth it. There will be memories of sophomore slump, posture pictures, Junior Show, Hubert Humphrey, and the handmade Laurel Chain. There will also be new connections made, networks rekindled, and intellectual stimulation as we discuss all aspects of being 50 years older than we were in 1965!
We hope you say YES and that we will see you in May in South Hadley.
REUNION SCHEDULE (updated 5/1/15)
JUST ADDED--A POP-UP DISCUSSION OF DAVID BROOKS'
WHY ELDERS SMILE--
New York Times 12/4/2014
Led by Lalla Rookh Grimes
Sunday Breakfast in Buckland
To whet your appetite for reunion, here's a schedule of activities for our fabulous fiftieth, May 14-17, 2015. The full schedule of all weekend events will be on the Alumnae Association website when registration begins March 1. This is just a taste. We've waited fifty years for this.
Scholarships are available. Please contact class president Martha Dolkart Bernstein, email@example.com.
Class dues are due, $25 (that's just $5/year!) plus $5 for the scholarship fund. Send your check to class treasurer Bev Braman Harrison, 264 Radford Dr., Campbell, CA 95008. Or use PayPal on our web site www.mhc65.com.
See you in South Hadley in May for an uncommonly good time!
Jo and Betsy
We've all been working hard to make MHC'65 x 50 Reunion interesting and fun and rewarding for you.
You must COME! See you all in May in South Hadley!
xx Your '65 Reunion Team
Schedule for the Class of 1965's Fiftieth Reunion
May 14-17, 2015: updated 5/1/15 jgd/efg
Thursday, May 14, 2015:
- Noon: Registration begins in the New York Room, second floor of Mary Woolley Hall
- 2:30 p.m. Welcome and instructions for Welcome Ceremony in Buckland living room: Martha Dolkart Bernstein, Caroline Fuller Sloat
- 3:00 p.m. rehearsal at Amphitheater for scarf Welcome Ceremony
- 3:30 p.m. Welcome Ceremony with 2015 and 1965 in the Amphitheater followed by a casual reception on the lawn hosted by '65 for '15: Caroline Fuller Sloat
- 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Welcome reception for '65 in Abbey- Buckland, our dorm and class headquarters: Jamie Adkins Baxter, Sally Crichton Lewis
- 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Italian dinner in Blanchard: Helen Tubesing Forster; Welcome and weekend overview, Jo Griffith Domingue and Betsy Fish Guardenier
- Survey report: Cleo Griffith and Sally Capps Tubbesing are working with Karen Walton, survey author, for her impressions; MHC Professor of Sociology Eleanor Townsley will react and comment.
- 8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Class discussion about the survey in Abbey-Buckland dining room moderated by Professor Townsley
Friday, May 15, 2015
- 7 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. Seated-chair yoga with Beth Holland Queener '65 Abbey-Buckland dining room.
- 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Breakfast at the home of President Lynn Pasquerella '80; Reservations required. (Rain location, Abbey-Buckland Dining Room)
- 10:00 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Back-to-Class session I, various campus locations. Classes led by MHC faculty and alumnae; Open to alumnae, students, guests.
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. A conversation with President Lynn Pasquerella '80, Art Building, Gamble Auditorium
- 12:30 p.m. - 2 p.m. Lunch in Abbey-Buckland Dining Room: speaker Kirstin Downey, author of our class read, The Woman Behind the New Deal, a biography of Frances Perkins, MHC 1902; Betsy Guardenier/Helen Forster
- 2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. Back-to-Class session II, various campus locations
- 2:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Class of 1965 Curator's Tours of the Art Museum: Bonnie Penney Ulrich; sign-ups in Buckland
- 3:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Back-to-Class Session III
- 4:00 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Back-to-Class Session IV
- 5:00 p.m. - 6:15 p.m. President's reception for the Class of 1965 in the lobby of the Art Museum.
- 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. Dinner at Willits, hosted by Advancement & Alumnae Association
- 8:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Cornerstone Reception at the President's house
- 8:00 p.m. Informal social gathering in Buckland Living Room: Jamie/Sally
Saturday, May 16, 2015
- 7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Breakfast in Abbey-Buckland dining room:Helen Forster
- 8:45 a.m. Alumnae Parade line up at Abbey-Buckland Circle
- 9:00 a.m. Alumnae Association parade, rain or shine; clear plastic ponchos handed out in case of rain
- 9:45 a.m. Laurel Chain Ceremony, Mary Lyon's grave
- 10:15 a.m. Alumnae Association meeting Chapin Auditorium
- 11:30 a.m. Class picture on Skinner steps (rain: Pratt Hall)
- Noon – 1:45 p.m. Lunch in Abbey-Buckland dining room. Speaker MHC Ruth Lawson Professor of Politics Vincent Ferraro: Bonnie Ulrich/Helen Forster
- 1:45 p.m. gather outside dorm for walk to memorial service
- 2:00-2:15 p.m. Class of '65 will walk to Abbey Chapel led by bagpipers piping
- 2:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Memorial service, Abbey Chapel: Nancy Loving Tubesing
- 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Class read in Abbey-Buckland dining room with MHC Professor of History Dan Czitrom: Debbie Morgan Olsen
- 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Reception/social hour at Rooke Theater terrace: Helen Forster, Jamie Baxter, Sally Lewis; music from the '60s: Bonnie Ulrich
- 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Gala dinner at Chapin: Helen Tubesing Forster
- 9:00 p.m. - 10 p.m. Informal social gathering in Buckland living room: Jamie Baxter/Sally Lewis Sing-along, slideshow of fifty years of MHC
Sunday, May 17, 2015
- 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Breakfast in Abbey/Buckland dining room: Helen Forster; Pop-up discussions over breakfast
- 9:00 a.m. Class meeting in Buckland living room: Martha Bernstein
- 10:30 a.m. Memorial sculpture dedication for Denise Thompson Smith in Abbey living room: Diane Howland McIntyre
This 50th Reunion Survey has two parts and we can't wait to see the results because the first part includes survey results from members of the class of 1965 from other colleges in the Seven Sisters--you know, Smith, Wellesley, Barnard, Radcliffe, Bryn Mawr, and Vasaar. Spearheaded by a Vasaar '65 grad, it is the first such survey and the results should be really interesting. We have lived through very interesting times!
The second part is special for our MHC class. Thanks go to Sally Capps Tubbesing and Cleo Griffith for their leadership in this important endeavor. Here is their letter to the class re the survey.
Reunion Help Wanted
Please let Jamie Adkins Baxter
(847.381.2953) know if you can hostess at our class reception desk for a two hour shift sometime Thurs - Sat of reunion. We will contact you closer to the event to confirm times. Buddy up with a friend for the fun of meeting and greeting our classmates.
Photos are needed for our continuous slide show! Kristin Stueber (413.539.9582) has volunteered to collect photos - print or digital to compile a slide show for us. Please send photos from 1961 to present to Kristin - her home address for photos and her e-mail for digital before April 1, 2015. Label all photos - subjects' names and date.
A golf Outing at the Orchards for 1965
A Golf Outing at the Donald Ross-designed Orchards Country Club is an option on Friday and Saturday during our Reunion. Limited tee times are available so please email Pam Panczak Dougherty ASAP to grab one if you are interested in playing. firstname.lastname@example.org
What's new for our Fabulous 50th?
- THURSDAY START TIME:
Thursday afternoon at 3:30pm we will all gather in the Amphitheater for a scarfing ceremony where members of '65 put a scarf around the neck of each graduate. Attended by 400 plus last May, this is a touching connection for us with 2015. Registration begins at noon.
Thanks to Caroline Fuller Sloat and her team for their work reaching out to 2015.
- A CLASS READ:
The book for our class read is "The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life and Legacy of Frances Perkins," MHC 1902, the first woman to serve in the U.S. Cabinet. Author Kristin Downey is excited that we have chosen it. Published in 2009 it is available in paperback. Thanks to Debbie Morgan Olsen and her book team for their engaging selection.
- OUR REUNION BOOK FOR ALL:
Thanks to an angel donor, a Reunion Book will be sent to each classmate in March at NO charge. You will have time to browse the essays we have written and photos we have sent before reunion. Thanks to Di Howland McIntyre and her incredible editorial team for making this possible.
- A SEVEN-SISTER SURVEY:
We will participate in a survey that includes sections from fellow '65 graduates from the Seven Sister Colleges. The survey will have questions unique to MHC, but we'll also be able to see how alike or different we are from our sister colleges. Thanks to Karen Walton, Vassar '65, who is organizing this project and to Cleo Griffith and Sally Capps Tubbesing who are working with Karen.
- SEATED CHAIR YOGA with Beth Holland
- FRIDAY BREAKFAST AT THE PRESIDENT'S HOUSE
- CURATOR'S TOURS OF THE ART MUSEUM JUST FOR OUR CLASS
- A MEMORIAL SERVCE AT ABBEY CHAPEL
- SATURDAY NIGHT GALA DINNER AT CHAPIN
Many pages of our class website are password protected.
For directions on how to find the website login and password,
please send an email to Elizabeth Guardenier at email@example.com.